Join Drawing Wisdom co-founders Jada-Gabrielle Pape, Saanich & Snuneymuxw Nations and Kat Dodds, Irish/Scottish Settler descent as they join the Xlerate conference September 28th, with their media team. Jada and Kat will introduce the idea of #DecolonizeYourDay through a decolonizing lens briefly in the morning plenary and facilitate an interactive closing plenary session on Reconciliation and decolonization. Give them a comment about Xlerate Day and it might end up in the short film they make!
A decolonizing lens means asking yourself again and again: How is colonization still happening? And what can I do to resist this?” ~ Jada-Gabrielle Pape
You can also post your own photo or video to social media with the hashtags #DecolonizeYourDay and #XlerateDay. Are you and your organization already taking steps to honour the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Calls to Action? Tell us about it! If social media isn’t your thing — and/or you want to ask a question anonymously at Xlerate Day — you can use the provided Post-It notes and just quietly add yours, or you can add it to the question box nearby.
Please give us your FEEDBACK.
Together with the many non-profits attending this conference, we’ll explore the work we are doing to build Indigenous and Ally reciprocity, as well as examples of work that other organizations are doing. Watch for the social media action tomorrow, and check this blog for follow up documentation and ideas that we come up with together.
And now, a few Links to Actions you could take….
• Find out whose land you are on – check out Native-Land.ca It’s important to acknowlege whose land you are on, but as these become common how can we go deeper? How can we do more?
Wouldn’t it be amazing if every plane that landed in Canada acknowedged the people whose territory it is before naming the city? How can organizations with a mission to do good take meaningful steps to honour the Peoples whose land they are on? We give some examples of this in the article we were interviewed for in Charity Village.
• September 30 is Orange Shirt Day — wear orange.
• Read the TRC Report Summary and 94 Calls to Action, they can be downloaded as PDFs. Are there any of the calls to action that your organization could contribute to implementing?
• Check out #150Acts – many of these are really great! And there are 150 of them…
• Hungry for more? We documented Peace Geeks Peace Talks Panel on Reconciliation and Indigenous Innovation – check it out. With our friends from the First Nations Technology Council and the 100% Indigenous Digital Agency Animikii.
We will continue to update this blog with links and examples from Xlerate Day and beyond.
Drawing Wisdom/Hello Cool World Media Team
Facilitators: Jada-Gabrielle Pape, Saanich & Snuneymuxw Nations & Kat Dodds, Irish/Scottish settler descendent
Video crew and social media: D’Arcy Hamilton, French/Irish/Scottish settler descendent & Mike Jacko, Anishnaabe nation, Odawa tribe